- To formulate and deliver a programme of capacity building activities for the institutional strengthening of Local Governance in partnership with Provincial Management Development Training Units. (MDTUs)
- To Support and strengthen the capacity of MDTUs towards delivering training programmes for improving the performance of Provincial Councils and Local Authorities.
- To function as the Resource Center on Local Governance providing technical information services for its stakeholders.
- To Function as the focal point for Local Governance networking with the relevant National and International institutions.
- To provide specialist support services in the development of Human Resources, improvement of Management systems and organizational change.
- To build the capacity of SLILG to provide Advocacy, Training, Consultancy and Research, support for strengthening institutions of Local Governance.
Major Areas Followed by the Institute
- Promotion and Management of Devolution
- Democracy and Good Governance
- Local Government and sustainable Urban and Rural Development
- Public Private participation in Local Government
- Assist the preparation of statues and Bylaws
- Women’s participation in Governance
- Conflict Resolution & Local Government
- Capacity building & skills development
- Management Information Systems